Deer antlers make durable and attractive knife handles that can last for many years to come.

First step is removing the old knife handle.

I normally just burn the old handle off using a Dakota fire pit, which is just two holes dug side by side and connected to one another at the bottom forming a U-shape. One hole is used for the fire, and the other is used as an airway. This allows you to burn off the handle quicker and with less wood.

Deer antlers make great handles for rat-tail tang knifes because the narrow tang fits well into the drilled out antler.

If you have a selection to choose from, pick an antler that will fit your knife without too much modification. For my Kukri here I only had to bend the tang slightly on my table vise to get it to fit, but I often have to cut the tang a little here and there to get it to fit into the antler correctly. An angle grinder is a must in that respect.

Once you have a piece picked, cut that section of the antler out. Remember, it’s better to cut a piece too large than to cut a piece too little.

I also found an angle grinder to be the best way to make quick, clean cuts off the antler. Make sure you wear eye protection and a respirator while cutting the antler.

Using a table vise to keep the antler in place, drill out a hole big enough to fit your tang. If the antler is curved you may need to drill halfway on one side then flip the antler over and drill out the other side.

Drill the antler out slowly and carefully. Filling in accidental holes is a pain and weaken your finished handle.

I had to bend the knife’s tang a little with my table vise to fit the curve of the antler.

Once I got a tight fit I taped off the areas I wanted to keep clean, and mixed up some epoxy. I added wood dust to the epoxy mix to form a paste that would better fill the gaps between the tang and antler.

After filling the drill hole with as much epoxy paste as I could, I placed the knife upright in the table vise over night.

Once the epoxy was dry I took a rotary tool with a grinding stone and smoothed out the epoxy and the rough edges of the antler.

Here’s a few handles I’ve made out of deer antlers.

3 votes, 5 avg. rating

Share:

1. SaraSmall February 21, 2018 at 1:42 am - Reply

I have checked your blog and i have found some duplicate content, that’s why you don’t rank
    high in google, but there is a tool that can help you to create
    100% unique articles, search for; Boorfe’s tips unlimited content

2. adidas ultra boost February 19, 2018 at 11:04 am - Reply

Great article. It is very unfortunate that over the last years, the travel industry has already been able to to tackle terrorism, SARS, tsunamis, flu virus, swine flu, and also the first ever real global downturn. Through all this the industry has really proven to be powerful, resilient and also dynamic, getting new strategies to deal with adversity. There are continually fresh problems and the opportunity to which the industry must yet again adapt and respond.

3. kobe bryant shoes February 19, 2018 at 7:30 am - Reply

Appreciate you for sharing these wonderful discussions. In addition, the perfect travel in addition to medical insurance program can often eliminate those issues that come with touring abroad. A medical emergency can quickly become very expensive and that’s certain to quickly decide to put a financial burden on the family’s finances. Putting in place the great travel insurance package prior to leaving is worth the time and effort. Cheers

4. BestNatisha February 19, 2018 at 12:58 am - Reply

I see you don’t monetize your website, don’t waste your traffic, you can earn extra cash every
    month because you’ve got high quality content. If you want to know how to make extra bucks,
    search for: Ercannou’s essential tools best adsense
    alternative

5. nike shoes February 19, 2018 at 12:17 am - Reply

I must point out my admiration for your kindness giving support to individuals who actually need help with your theme. Your very own dedication to getting the message all over came to be particularly valuable and has encouraged individuals just like me to realize their endeavors. Your personal interesting help signifies much a person like me and further more to my colleagues. Regards; from all of us.

6. lebron shoes February 18, 2018 at 8:42 pm - Reply

I like this blog so much, bookmarked.

7. lebron shoes February 18, 2018 at 4:00 pm - Reply

Because Michael Owen at the side of huang zhan, so his nickname called small report.The earliest Owen left the impression of the world, is probably the flashy passing movements and dazzling breakthroughs, remember in the rookie challenge, he drew down two slipped past knight
    lebron shoes

8. lebron soldier 11 February 18, 2018 at 12:36 pm - Reply

According to The Fear of The Sword, The knight’s point guard deron Williams is a fan of MMA (mixed), compared to The basketball game, deron prefer to watch The ultimate fighting championship.Deron Williams recently said in an interview, he retired from the NBA
    lebron soldier 11

9. nike huarache February 18, 2018 at 9:09 am - Reply

One thing I have actually noticed is there are plenty of misconceptions regarding the lenders intentions while talking about property foreclosures. One fable in particular would be the fact the bank prefers to have your house. The financial institution wants your dollars, not the house. They want the money they lent you having interest. Preventing the bank will undoubtedly draw any foreclosed final result. Thanks for your posting.

10. nike air max February 18, 2018 at 5:45 am - Reply

Another thing I’ve really noticed is for many people, bad credit is the reaction of circumstances beyond their control. For example they may are already saddled by having an illness so they have substantial bills for collections. It could be due to a job loss or maybe the inability to do the job. Sometimes breakup can send the funds in an opposite direction. Thanks for sharing your thinking on this blog.

11. lebron james shoes February 18, 2018 at 2:24 am - Reply

I see something genuinely special in this site.

12. adidas ultra boost February 17, 2018 at 9:25 pm - Reply

One thing is the fact that one of the most frequent incentives for using your card is a cash-back or perhaps rebate present. Generally, you’ll get 1-5% back on various expenditures. Depending on the credit cards, you may get 1% again on most expenses, and 5% in return on expenses made on convenience stores, gas stations, grocery stores in addition to ‘member merchants’.

13. Wholesale Football Jerseys February 15, 2018 at 5:25 pm - Reply

MyHeritage enables discovery, sharing, and preserving of family history.
    Wholesale Football Jerseys

14. mvfbibwm February 15, 2018 at 4:13 am - Reply

How to Make a Knife Handle Out of Deer Antler – Old Man Stino
    [url=http://www.gm23373wz1shi9mdg9qda0nj6430618fs.org/]umvfbibwm[/url]
    amvfbibwm
    mvfbibwm http://www.gm23373wz1shi9mdg9qda0nj6430618fs.org/

15. glennl ruggles November 3, 2017 at 4:55 pm - Reply

yes now I know what I have been doing wrong

16. FastRhea September 19, 2017 at 11:47 pm - Reply

I see you don’t monetize your site, don’t waste your traffic, you can earn extra cash every month because you’ve got hi quality
    content. If you want to know how to make extra money, search for:
    best adsense alternative Dracko’s tricks